Sunday, 11 October 2015

Ink a Day: P & J Arnold

Arnold's ink glass bottle. Private collection.

The scant online sources refer to P & J Arnold as a business established in 1724 in Aldersgate Street, London. Arnold, who were Henry Stephens' (of famous Stephens' Ink) competitors, produced "Arnold's blue-black Chemical Writing Fluid." Arnold's ink came in large stoneware made by J. Bourne & Son in Derby, such as the one shown here, and later on also in glass bottles. Arnold's merged with Stephens in 1942 after their works in Aldersgate were bombed. In 1967 both P & J Arnold and Henry C. Stephens Ltd were acquired by the Royal Sovereign Company.

The bottled pictured above would have come with a cork. The name Arnold's is embossed within an embossed scroll. Nice touch. Underneath the bottle the embossed number 3 denotes the number of fluid ounces contained within.

Arnold's ink glass bottle. Private collection.
Arnold's ink glass bottle. Private collection.
Arnold's ink patented bottle c. 1910. Source: eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment